Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 23

I can't believe there are only 7 days left!!!  This is Stage Fright- Boot Camp week!

Daily Practice
Time: 1hr 30 mins
Songs: A Whole New World, Fallin for You, Defying Gravity, Someone Like You, and Before the Throne

Today I went to Bettina's tech class and stayed for her performance class.  I had just come from a coaching session with Walter, so I was ready to attack A Whole New World, and I did!  Bettina was blown away; she said she loved the choices that I made for the song!  I had to direct her praise to Walter because he gave me some wonderful ideas, and I just followed through.  She said, though, that it still seemed a little like I was pretending to be excited about this whole new world, rather than actually being excited about.  So she had me sit on the floor (eye level with all the other students in the room) and sing the song again, this time as if I were truly talking to each person in the room and telling them about this unbelievable place that I'm in.  I pictured myself describing the sights of NYC to my Texas friends during my first month here, and it worked!  I even gave myself chills.  And all my classmates agreed that it felt real.  It felt great to finally be proud of one of my performances.

Coaching Session 2
The 2's denote Session 2!
Like I said above, I met with Walter again today.  Love him!  We worked through Before the Throne of God Above, a song for which I couldn't find the correct sheet music, so he had me sing it and then made the changes to the sheet music that I do have.  He's so patient!  Then we worked on A Whole New World, and he helped me with my character.  He pointed out places where I could 'lose the singing' and try to be conversational (while still on pitch) to bring more life to the song... "SOARing, TUMBling, freeWHEELing"... for example.  Then he showed me places where I could really milk the legato feel and hold notes out longer.  For example, I used to just fade out at the end of the song to make it sound sweet, but he suggested I should hold the note powerfully while the accompaniment plays under me so that it shows more confidence and finality to the character's choice.  He gave a lot of wonderful ideas, and I feel 10x more comfortable with the song!

Private Lesson 4
And to finish off the day, I had my final private lesson with Kurt.  Love him as well!  We worked A Whole New World one more time, and he reminded me that for the Disney audition, I'm not trying to impress a group of adults, instead I'm trying to entertain a crowd of little kids and make them see magic in my eyes.  That little switch really helped me.  I started picturing myself walking through Disney World dressed up like a princess, and having all of these kids get really excited and starry-eyed when they saw me.  That helped me to realize that I wasn't as much singing a "love" song as I was singing a "magic" song!  So hopefully I can remember all these notes and apply it on audition day!  Kurt and I finished out our session practicing Falling for You to get ready for my demo and open mic.  His notes were to keep the energy through every phrase, even though its a low song, so that I don't start to fall flat.   He also helped me shape the words on the bridge to help take some of the air out of the sound. 

Healthy Meals 38 and 39

Breakfast- Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal


Dinner- Weight Watchers Vegetable Lasagna


 

----
I saved up all my heavy-hitters for this last week. I have something 'scary' every day, but there's no time for fear! Only 7 days left! 

Stay tuned for:
Tues- Disney Cruise Line- dance call; Webster Hall open mic
Wednesday- Disney Cruise Line- Lion King vocalist call
Thursday- Disney princess- vocalist call; demo @ recording studio
----

Final Week Challenge Stats
Vocal Practice Sessions- 23/30
Private Voice Lessons- 4/4
Coaching Sessions- 2/2
Live Vocal Performance- 0/1
Live Professional Performance- 0/1
Live NYC Audition- 0/1
You Tube Demo Recording- 0/1
BDC Dance Classes- 11/20
Healthy Meals- 25/25 (Personal Goal 39/50)
Charitable Deeds- 4/5
Daily Blogs- 23/30

1 comment:

  1. Great great great!!! I'll see you at the Disney auditions tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete